Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hollywood and Virgins

Russell Brand was the host for the VMAs. He made a joke about the Jonas Brothers wearing purity rings. ShowBiz Tonight on CNN made a show about the controversy. Brand said, “I’d take it a little more seriously if they wore it on their dick.” Later, the Jonas Brothers accepted Brand’s apology by saying, “For us it’s cool to see that he recognized us as gentlemen.” Ben Widdicombe is an Editor-At-Large from “Star Magazine” and he agreed with Brand for making the joke in the first place. He said, “I do not believe for one second that all three of them are going to be virgins on their wedding night. Frankly, I would rather hear a young celebrity talking about how he is responsible and educated about his sexuality than pretending that the Disney marketing manual is a book in the New Testament.” Rachel Zalis is a Senior Editor of “Life & Style Magazine” and she said, “It’s nice to have young guys that are inspirational, role models to the teens. I mean, it’s a very schizophrenic time right now to be a teen there’s Gossip Girl and 91210, its very sexy those shows and here you have these guys that they really look up to and coming out very vocally about how that’s important to them and I think it’s great.”

Paris Hilton even made a comment. Paris tells Us Magazine.com, “I don’t pick on them. That’s something cool for a kid to keep, so don’t pick on them for that.” Ben thinks it absurd for Paris to defend them. Rachel says, “The Queen of the Sex Tapes how ironic that she’s the one standing up for them.” Rachel makes it clear that she supports the virginity wave but Paris’s comment was ironic.

I think that it is good that the Jonas Brothers decided to stay virgins and I think they are setting a good example. I do not think they should be made fun of for it. It is not right to make fun of someone for being a virgin and it is the wrong message to send to people. People will think that they are not cool if they are virgins and will want to have sex so they will not be made fun of. Sex is a serious act. There are many sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancies to worry about . This joke is not funny and other virgins will not want to be the butt of the joke. People will do anything to live up to this Hollywood standard and jokes like that will really affect peoples’ lives. People will take that joke serious and possibly go have sex. The Jonas Brothers are showing people that it’s alright to be a virgin and Russell Brand’s joke is making it not alright. How do you feel about this joke whether you are a virgin or not? I think the Jonas Brothers should fight back and make it clear that the joke was inappropriate. I think they should stand of for themselves and their fans. I agree with them for accepting Brand’s apology but I do not think they should have let it slide like they did. I agree with Rachel Zalis that there is a lot of pressure on teens. There are a lot of shows with sex and it is advertised everywhere. I also think that it was ironic for Paris to comment. I think it is nice of her to comment but on the other hand she acts very sexy. She is a contradiction and people are not going to take her comment serious if she does not live that way. I think you should practice what you preach. I also think Ben is ignorant for saying that the Jonas Brothers will not stay virgins until they are married. I doubt he knows them and I doubt he has E.S.P. I agree with him on the point that people should be educated and responsible about sex but what he said was rude and inappropriate.

What do you think about the comments of Rachel Zalis, Ben Widdicombe, Paris Hilton, Russell Brand, and the Jonas Brothers?

3 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

I agree with not making fun of the Jonas Brothers. However i do not agree that all these young stars keep coming out and publicly talking about it. They not only dont know what is going to happen in the future (look at Britney and Justin, she thought they were gonna get married) but they also have young fans who dont necessicarly understand what "virgin" is. If you keep your sexual status to yourself that is great, i dont mind. But congrats, Jonas Brothers, on being virgins, i think thats great!

AwkwardMorning said...

I do not really think it is such a big issue. I tried to stay a virgin because I thought it meant something. I was happy to be 19 and still a virgin. I often bragged about it. But then after doing the deed I do not see what is so great about staying a virgin. Sure mine was taken from me and I didn’t get to give it to the girl I loved like I had envisioned. But that doesn’t stop me now. I love the girl I am with and she loves me and that would not change when we get married.

These things just get thrown down the drain nowadays. People’s first eye contact, first hand lock, first kiss, and their virginity are all almost meaningless. Soon it’s going to be their first marriage.

So if people want to be virgins, that’s great for them. It’s their life and they should be able to live it how they want.

ahenn3 said...

I think it is great that the Jonas Brothers are virgins. Most people in this world do not stay virgins for as long as they have which is sad. I do think that it is a good role model for the younger kids to look after but i do not think that stuff like this should make news. Why do others care? The fact that the media blows things out of proportion is getting really ridiculous.