Sunday, September 28, 2008

Halloween Costumes











Halloween is coming up. I was looking around for costumes for a Halloween party I may be going to. I noticed all the costumes for adult girls are slutty. Every single one. It’s ridiculous. This is what society wants girls to look like? Then I looked at the little girls costumes and they are all princess type costumes. I looked at the boys costumes and they are all batman type of costumes. I don’t agree with what people are being taught to dress like. If im not a slutty nurse for Halloween than what eles am I going to be? There are no other costumes available in stores. The stores do not give people any other choice. I think it is wrong to teach people these mindsets. I hate these stereotypes. The baby boy's costume has muscles! Thats crazy. The boy wearing the batman costume is flexing his arm. The little girl wearing a princess costume is holding her dress out. The woman wearing the nurse out fit is showing cleavage and her legs. Her shirt is short.What do you people think of the Halloween costumes? Do you agree?

4 comments:

Britty said...

I'm not a huge Halloween fan, I used to dress in my street clothes when I went trick-or-treating. There are two costumes I remember ever having: the Jasmine outfit (this was in '95 or '96, I was 7 or 8..) and a pumpkin suit (probably the most gender-friendly, yet I haven't seen this kind of costume since early 2000s). I have noticed that the "sexy" outfits for women don't go typically larger then a size 12. My mistake, that's just everyone telling us that women can only be a certain size before they are "not" sexy (totally untrue). These outfits should be wearable by both sexes.

Nikori said...

When we were going over those magazines in class, one of the articles in my magazine was about Halloween costumes. The list was something like this:

1. Playboy Bunny
2. Slutty Kitty
3. Slutty Cop
4. Slutty Nurse
5. Slutty Cowgirl
6. French Maid
7. Hillary Clinton

I personally think that the "Hillary Clinton" one was hilarious.

Luckily, I went to an anime convention over the summer and I'm wearing that costume instead of going out and buying one of those skimpy things this year for Halloween.

Pretzel001 said...

I totally agree...! I forget where I was but I heard some guy, maybe it was a comedian, I don't remember, but anyway...he said that Halloween seemed to be an excuse for teens and women to dress like sluts and get away with it. That comment could go one of two ways. Either, yes women do use Halloween to dress a little more revealing than they normally would, or two, they have nothing else to choose from...! And Halloween costumes for kids are definitely a good example of how the world socializes children at such a young age. The costumes are clearly in a "girls" section or a "boys" section. And parents and taking their children trick-or-treating at younger and younger ages. It's kind of ridiculous when you know that baby isn't even going to be eating that candy they are getting because they don't even have all their teeth in and their parents are carrying them from house to house. But of course, the parents dress them in a clearly "girl" or "boy" costume to see how many "ooos" and "aahhhs" they get over their baby.

Lyndsey said...

I really don't understand why every single halloween costume for women must be "slutty." The costumes for men aren't sleazy. They're masculine and tough, or comedic and silly. At least they have more of a choice than we do. Most of ours are all the same. I will admit to liking a few of them but I would also like to point out that most of these costumes are made for "skinny" girls. Recently they have been coming out with "plus size" costumes (that are still slutty of course), but it wasn't always the case. Could we please have a little bit more variety in our costumes? This is why I usually just stick to a costume that I make up with my own clothes & just buy the accessories.

Oh yeah, and whatever happened to actually being SCARY for all hallow's eve? That is the point, isn't it?